Friday, April 20, 2007

Gahh. 5 more days.
So much to do, so little time. Though I'm looking forward to going home again, and to have my better half visit Malaysia for the first time, the last few days I've felt like a chicken with its head cut off, running around trying to get stuff done. Not that I'm complaining; things are going well, but awfully busy. With the recent conference in Seattle, and then some exciting preliminary findings from my experiments in the lab with preadipocytes (won't/can't elaborate more, but you're free to guess from the picture), and then having to rush off my abstract for the American Thyroid Association meeting in NYC. Also heard back from a journal to which I submitted my manuscript; they had some 'minor revisions' they wanted me to make- usually a very good sign that they'll publish my paper. And I'm trying to submit another manuscript before I leave Wednesday (but can't yet, since I'm still waiting for the 7 other co-authors to sign the disclosure papers). AND, I need to come up with a speech for my brother's wedding. Things likely aren't gonna slow down when we get to Malaysia, either. As it stands:
  • April 26th- Arrive in KL
  • April 28th- Kid brother's wedding (and I'm the MC)
  • April 30th- IMU talk, then hopefully meet up with KL buddies/bloggers
  • May 1st- Travel to Singapore, hopefully meet up with buddies and to visit the SingHealth (Singapore GH) group
  • May 3rd- Flying from Singapore to Tioman
  • May 5th- Tioman back to KL, then Seremban
  • May 9th- Leave for the USA.
Phew. And somewhere in there, I'm going to fit in a shitload of meals. My girlfriend doesn't quite believe me when I tell her we have 6 meals a day in Malaysia (breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper). Indeed, we arrive at KLIA at 11pm; I know for a fact I'm going to hijack the car and detour to the local mamak for some satay and roti goreng even before we head home. Roti Goreng, by the way, is Seremban's greatest invention. You chop up roti canai and fry it like kuey teow. Between that and expensive filet mignon, I'd pick the roti any time. That probably deserves, at the very least, a Nobel nomination. After all, if the guys who thought up RNA interference could win the prize last year, why not the inventors of Roti Goreng?