Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Treasures

These are some of my work-related treasures. Nothing of value to most; notes, cards and tidbits I've gotten from patients in the last few years. Nothing you can put on your resumé, costing perhaps a few cents for the card and stamp, but if you've ever received them before I'm sure you know what I mean when I say they're almost priceless. On bad days, on days when you feel pretty insignificant and think you're making no damn difference at all in a patient's life, getting and reading one of these lifts you up like little else can. It's easy to forget when you see so many patients, that you sometimes do help. And though you might see 20 patients that day and details begin to get fuzzy, that one patient might just appreciate your reassurance, or kindness or smile, and remember you for it. Perhaps even for years. I recall that patient I had seen 2 years earlier who picked me out from a crowd in Macaroni Grill that New Year's eve. These things are nice reminders that you're appreciated.
I'm not saying I'm wanting patients to reward me, no. It's just nice to know that you did things right.
This card arrived at my clinic the other day. Some random stranger heard or read my radio interview with NPR when I was in New Orleans, and decided to send this to my hospital. And it found it's way to me. Though this was just a card, I must say it made me kembang the whole day, and then somemore. Whoever you are, Cathy of Fort Meyers, thanks for the kind words.