Sunday, March 11, 2007

PMS, Part II

Since I'm still in my mood swing, I'm going to be unreasonable, regress 25 years and vent a bit more. I have had it for today with thyroid biopsies from the 10 hours of seminars today, so I'm just gonna talk crap.
Some things really irritate me. Pet peeves.
One, cellphones ringing when they're not supposed to. You'd think that anyone with some sense of decency and at least half a gram of brain material would remember to turn off (or to silence) their cellphones at meetings or the movies. But without a doubt, whether in the USA or Malaysian (10x worse back home), there's always bound to be some idiot who's not able to read the pre-movie notice 'Please silence your phones'. Worse are those damn ahbengs who have the nerve to answer their phones and then proceed to converse. Fucking morons. Here, you'd think that being in a hall with 200 highly qualified subspecialty trainees, it would be different. But no. Even after one or two phones had gone off, some people were too retarded to remember to shut their phones up.
My second pet peeve, and I know it's going to hit some of you out there in the face so be forewarned, is medical students who call themselves doctors, or who sign up for email addresses that begin with dr...@hotmail.com. I mean, WTF? That's stupid, that's arrogant, and bothers on boasting. And it's almost as stupid as having Vagus@hotmail.com as your email nick. First of all, buddy, getting in was the easy part. Surviving medical school is a different thing. The graduation rate amongst the Malaysians at my medschool was only 70%. So, don't be so sure you're gonna get that title in front of your name. Not that there's anything special being called 'Dr. Vagus'. I'd rather be called studmuffin or tripod. You might say that you're free to use whatever username you wish, then again this is my blog so I'm allowed to throw temper tantrums like a 5 year old who just crapped in his diaper.
This has always been a minor irritant to me. But I guess the thing that pushed me over the edge was this medical student who is a total stranger to me who sent me an email asking for advice, who began his email with 'Hey Brother....'. And get this, he not only has drsomething for his email address, but his email profile has his name listed as Dr. So and so. Talk about being presumptious.
Not sure who reads my blog anymore these days aside from the FBI, but if you, the medical student I refer to happen to read this, here's some advice: it really IS rude to start an email to a total stranger like that, especially if you're asking for career advice. Now let me go and PMS somemore.