Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Time's a-flying. Can't believe I'll be leaving again in 5 days.
Was just talking to a friend at the mamak last night. An observation I made. It's like, every year I return, it almost feels like there's less and less I'm familiar with with Malaysia. The roads, building etc. But also to an extent, the attitudes. The prices of things. The traffic. The medical system.
I suppose it's only natural, being in the US one tends to compare, which is probably unfair seeing that the US is so ahead. But this leads to frustrations, about how seemingly corrupt this place can be (although I'm thankful the PM's putting his foot down). Inflation (inflasi sifar, yea right. Catchy slogan, a song. Like that's all it would take to decrease this. Prices of everything going up. Some politicians are getting rich at the expense of the people, let me tell you). Why some people can be so selfish (think Malaysian driving habits, using emergency lanes). The misappropriation of resources (tallest this or longest that. UGLY looking light/sculptures. Yet, basic ammenities are lacking; telephones, water. Heck, there was no water supply at home for 12 hours yesterday). The medical system (WFMC's MI door-to-cath time of 20 minutes! Adequate surgical and subspecialty support).
However, in that seemingly perfect world (no, don't kid yourself, the US has its share of problems), the other things that make life complete to me are lacking. Hence my intention to return to Malaysia in 2008.
My fear is that I lose the connection after a while. And decide to stay. I suppose things happen for a reason; so we'll see how the next 3 years pan out.