Thursday, May 19, 2005

Revenge of the Sith


Omigod. Omigod omigod.
That was beautiful. So very beautiful. Sniff sniff
Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith
George Lucas is a bloody genius. Genius.
Ok, so maybe I went with too low an expectation. And maybe, being a Star Wars freako I'm being too generous with my comments. But overall, it was a great show. Can see why they rated this PG13; the gore surprising though.
CC was right on when she thought I had a big grin on my face throughout. Here are my thoughts in general, without revealing the plot:
  • Great Star Wars show... my favourite of the 3 mainly because of the way the story connected. But some may say the action is better in Episode II
  • Perhaps they tried a bit too hard with the jokes/corny comments (ie wisecracks from the droids)
  • Anakin kinda switched sides a wee bit too easily. Too 'slutty', not really in keeping with his character
Show was great, mainly because it formed the perfect bridge between Episode II and IV (A New Hope). And this is where Lucas' genius comes in. Just look for the subtleties:
  • How the battle cruisers here look similar to the Imperial Cruisers in Episode IV
  • The clones, obviously, you can tell will evolve into the stormtroopers
  • The 'fathers' of the tie fighter, X-wing fighter and even the Imperial shuttle
  • You find out why Leia's last name was Organa
  • The emperor in Episode III looks like the emperor in Episode VI. Duuh, right? But this blew me away: Lucas used the same guy (Ian McDiarmid) who acted as the Emperor in Episode VI to play the role of Senator Palpatine (now, I don't consider this giving away the plot; if you didn't even know that Palpatine becomes the Emperor, you obviously never watch the movies. So you won't mind) as well as the Emperor now, almost 20 years later! Same guy! Except he looked OLDER in a movie made 15 years ago!
  • Look closely at the folks baby Luke Skywalker ends up with in this movie; they look very much like his uncle and aunt on Tatooine in Episode IV! Either Lucas used the same actors now and made them look much younger, or he used someone who looked like them. But they do, you can totally tell! (ok, I admit I'm a geek and that most normal people wouldn't notice these things)
Granted. My expectations are low. And I'm easily satisfied. But, this was a great movie. And the cycle is complete. This would transition very smoothly into Episode IV. Tonight, I will sleep a happy man.
Aww, what the heck. Might as well tell you the plot. Anakin is the not the real father. It was C3PO! And Yoda and Obi-Wan get involved romantically. And Palpatine develops prostatic hyperplasia and had to go for TURP surgery (the poor thing).