Monday, May 17, 2021

10 Years Ago

In a heartbeat, the 10 years just flew by. This was the last time I saw him alive. Allison was not even 1 then, when we flew back to Malaysia to say goodbye. Kris and I were wrecks- as we said good night to him, knowing the implication of this, that this would be the last time we'd see him alive on Earth. He was nonchalant about it (as a cancer doctor, I'm sure he knew what was coming...), maybe even a bit embarrassed to see the tears and the attention he was getting.


I can't believe it's been 10 years today when he passed away after a long battle with cancer. On this special day, we remember my friend, room-mate, the Best Man at our wedding, my comrade-in-arms at Mayo. The person who got me through those harrowing years of residency and fellowship. God, I miss our conversations. 

Perhaps one reason why I spend a few moments on this day to remember him stems from my own fear. That after we leave this world, that we are eventually forgotten. Wiped from existence, forgotten from memory. As though we have never existed. And so, I never want Buddy's memories ever be forgotten.

The doctor and oncologist, who not only practiced what he learnt, but also lived it. Till we meet again, brother, here's a toast to you. Wherever you are.