Monday, March 22, 2021

Saying Goodbyes

 I went to say goodbye to a patient the other day.

Not something I usually do; but I was informed by the patient's wife that things were endstage and they were putting him in hospice care. And so, despite the pandemic, I did something unorthodox. I did a housecall.

I called and asked the wife if it would be OK for me to stop by; it so happens it was his birthday that day. She said he would love that, though she cautioned me he might be a bit tired since he was in midstages of organ failure, and the uremia is likely going to affect how he feels. And so I packed up the car with some balloons, flowers and a cake (to hell with his diabetes, I told his wife- he can enjoy cake on his birthday).

It was somewhat of an emotional meeting. I wasn't quite sure if he knew it was a goodbye visit; but his wife, daughter and son, and myself, knew.

I spent 10 mins with him, just talking, and listening. I told him it has been a privilege to have been his doctor for the last 11 years. I told his family to call me if they needed anything. I gave him a firm handshake, and gave his wife a hug as I left.

That was 6 days ago; I'm not sure if Mr. J is still alive today. But I pray that he goes in peace, pain-free, and with the knowledge that his legacy will live on in his kids, and that he fought the good fight.