Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Boston!

Yes, I finally got here after a hair-raising/frustrating flight out. You know it's not good when the pilot starts the day by saying :

"Looks like we're a little low on hydraulics, so we'll have the mechanic come and top it up" only to overhear the mechanic say later:

"I don't know if it's just low, or if it's a leak. There's fluid all over the place!"

Needless to say, whether they topped it up or stuck a piece of gum to plug a leak up, my flight out took off, albeit 50 mins late. Thankfully I was OCD enough to plan for longer transits and I made my connecting.

Anyway, Boston is as I remember it. This would be my 4th visit here (all for meetings, come to think of it). Big, bustling with activity and traffic. Parks, water. And very very expensive. I balked at the US$42 hotel parking sign as the shuttle dropped me off.
I'm reminded that although I talk about being bored in the Midwest, we are really very content and I'm at heart a small-town boy.
I went out for some Chinese food at the food court near the convention center and hotel, which turned out to be pretty good. I just had to share what I found in my fortune cookie:
Kinda prophectic, no?
P/S: Guess what I got for dessert? Double Irony: Tubby endocrinologist carrying a bagful of Dunkin Donuts glazed donuts while attending an endocrine conference!