Saturday, March 27, 2010

DIY

Suddenly I feel pretty masculine.
And no, it's got nothing to do with the male gonads.
No, I went out and bought myself some power tools. And no, I'm not even talking about the shopvac, or the electric screwdriver.

No sir, I got me a circular saw, a reciprocating saw and an impact driver. We figured we've neglected to spruce up our home long enough, and planned some bigger projects this year. In part because of the baby, and in part because we know we'll have her and my families here and we want them comfortable.
And so, I spent 4 hours last night just sawing and taking things apart, and then putting them back together. It's a wonder I still had my fingers to do my biopsies this morning. I caught myself wondering if we should have bought the disability insurance/income protection plan the broker was trying to sell us; I had images of the saw kicking back and slicing off my precious nose-pickers.
But no, things worked out; with a lot of sweat, and a lot of KNNCCB cussing (thank goodness the dogs don't understand Hokkien) I got my projects done.
And to think 2 days ago I refurbished our dresser with two layers of stain followed by another 2 of a polyurethane coating.

Ah. I feel like a man.
Now somebody hand me that pitcher of beer!