Monday, March 08, 2010

Walk to Cure Diabetes


As an endocrinologist, although my main interest is thyroid disease, our bread and butter is diabetes. But truthfully, if there a cure for type 1 diabetes, even if that would give me far less business, I would wish for it for my patients with all my heart. It's a life-changing disease, that requires deep awareness of what one is eating, physical activity and its effects on the blood sugars. It is an absolute pain to manage, from the need to check glucose levels at least 4 times a day, to carb counting, and adjusting insulin doses to goal. As such, I truly have the utmost respect and admiration for my patients who do it so well.

This year, I'll be walking to raise funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. It's been a couple of years since I did a fundraiser (I did the 32-mile Tour de Cure ride not too long ago) so I thought it was about time, since I didn't feel like I was particularly helpful to many of my patients as a doctorautostumble.

So, if you have a couple of bucks to spare, and you want to put it to good use and want to get a lazy, tubby endocrinologist to move his butt, please consider donating to my cause. $200 gets you a topless picture of mua. If you want the pants off (vitals covered, of course), you'll need to get up $400! (just try to hold the puke in).