Thursday, September 04, 2008

Finally...

After 2 years, I've finally made my decision. I have been itching to upgrade Veronica (my Honda) for some years now. Some of you may recall my posts about my two top choices: the Mercedes-Benz SLK and the Porsche Boxster. And if you've ever wondered about the results of the poll, most of you readers suggested the Porsche over the Mercedes.Both cars cost about the same. And both beauties are German. But the two cars are worlds apart. I've test driven them several times, every single time I'm torn.
The Porsche 987 (Boxster) is a firstly a sports car. Handles well, and with a mid-engine design, is well-balanced and takes turns as though it was running on tracks. It also emits a strangely arousing, deep-throaty growl, eminating from just the back of your seats. The engine is situated right behind and under the seats- only the mechanic would be able to get to it. Which explains why the Porsche has front AND back trunk space. There's no mistaking the roar of the flat-six engine. And so, one may feel that it is less comfortable, noisier, for long-distance drives. Options cost an arm and a leg. Four hundred bucks for just the color Porsche crest on the wheels? And don't even ask about the Bose sound system, or the hardtop.
The Benz however, is first and foremost, a luxury car, and a sports car second. It's a totally different animal. You see it in the sexy leather upholstery; the shiny metallic parts in the cockpit. This car is made for comfort. The clever Airscarf system (basically a heated airvent on the headrest), the ingenious folding hardtop that changes the coupe into a roadster in 22 seconds. The built in bluetooth and Ipod integration kit. The softer, more comfortable suspension. This is a more forgiving car should you decide to take a 6-hour drive to Chicago. But, a Porsche this is not. It's akin to comparing James Bond to Indiana Jones.
And so, after 2 1/2 years, and after perusing hundreds (I kid you not) of review websites, looking over Porsche catalogs and collecting the Mercedes SLK catalogs from the years 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 (again, not kidding) and having too many wet dreams about both cars, I finally bit the bullet.
I bought myself a Porsche Boxster, and traded in Veronica. A tough decision, one I hope I won't regret, but simply put, the Porsche just looks a lot better than the SLK. And it's always been a dream of mine to own a Porsche.
Kristin and I named her Claudia; comes with some options I really fancy- the bi-xenon HID lights, onboard trip computer, Bose sound system, and the bonus, a removable hardtop for less ideal weather.
And yes, yes, I've heard about how the Boxster is the "poor man's Porsche, go for the 911 instead" sphiel, but the short version is, I can't afford a 911, so enough of that. After all I'm an endocrinologist, not a plastic surgeon.
We have a few more months before the snow comes, so I hope we get to enjoy enough with the top down. Soon I'll have to be getting snow tires- I hope this car handles well enough in the winter with snow tires on, otherwise I'm going to need to buy an SUV next!
I pick her up from the dealership tomorrow. Pictures and videos to follow, I'm sure.