Saturday, August 16, 2008

Modern Medicine

Phew. What a week. I had thought that now, being a consultant, life would be cushy. I have to say though, I have been pulling 12-hour days all week. And 2 weeks from now, I will be oncall for the first time. And I have to admit, it's getting me pretty anxious. No, it's not the medicine that worries me. It's learning my way around 4 hospitals, and learning 2 different hospital systems. Yes, we cover 4 hospitals for call, that belong to 2 distinctly different medical systems. Each with their own paperwork, ordering system. And the hospitals are built like mazes. I'm going to need a GPS.Anyways, work has been interesting this week. It's gotten me thinking. I saw several patients this week. And perhaps to give a lousy excuse for my fumbling with the ordering system on the computer, I tell them: Please bear with me; I'm new to this clinic.
I've had more than a few patients smile knowingly, and say,
"Yes, I know. I read up about you on Google, and know where you're coming from..."
I've already done 4 thyroid biopsies this week, and all 4 patients have told me they're 'letting the new guy do it' only because of where I trained.
It's interesting how many patients here (compared to Malaysia, say) look up their doctors online before their appointments.
Now, I'm all for that. I love for a patient to be informed, to know her doctor's background and credentials. But I have to say, being on the other side of the fence, instead of the 'looking-upper' and being the 'looking-uppee' (mark my words, these phrases will be in the Webster's dictionary in a few years!) I find it terribly unnerving. I mean, to have someone Google you up, and find your stories, articles, medical or not medical, almost feels like you're being violated.
I've had a couple of patients ask me about stuff I've published. One complimenting me on that non-fictional story I submitted to an essay-writing contest years ago. And one ask me about New Orleans.
It does kinda feel weird. But I suppose it's a necessary evil; it keeps the patients informed, and feeling empowered.
I'm just glad I use a nickname for the blog.