Sunday, July 09, 2006

Balls, or the lack of it

Read this interesting piece of Malaysian news. So, there's this local artiste who was engaged to marry a woman.
But shit happens, so he decides to call off the engagement. Though not ideal, these things happen, can't fault him for that.
What disgusts me though, is how he decided to do it. First of all, he uses the media to relay things to her for him.
And then, he sends his 'delegation' of family members to her place to tell her. Except he isn't there himself. And she happens to be out of her home at that time so he's going, "Ooh, but I tried to tell her. I sent my machas".
He may be a local singing sensation (actually, from what I understand I don't think he is, quite), but this is just pathetic, one that reeks of cowardice and totally lacking in honour and respect.

"Mummy, can you please tell her for me it's all over? Teletubbies is on TV right now."

It makes the rest of us men feel ashamed that there are people capable of doing this.
I don't consider myself a particularly courageous person. You can ask my girlfriend about how I was screaming yesterday when I got my undies wet while canoeing. And lemme see a flying roach while I'm on the can, and I'll run out of the restroom stark naked, body parts flinging around and all. But doing something like that would never even cross my mind.
And makes you sympathize with the girl. Because, unless she had sex with your best friend in the backseat of your newly cleaned car while parked in your garage and accidentally sitting on your pug Max and killing it, no one deserves this.
This is why I think it's ridiculous that some people even wanted to allow divorcing by just text-messaging them on a phone. Despite us wanting to be a civilized and developed nation, I think many aspects of our culture and society are backward and chauvinistic. I think we don't always treat women fairly.
Speaking of which, maybe someone at home could enlighten the rest of us; did they allow this practice in the end?

WILL B BACK LATE 2NITE. PLS PICK UP MY LAUNDRY. P/S WE'RE DIVORCING.