Wednesday, June 28, 2006

It's tagged as the biggest gathering of endocrinologists in the world. I believe it. Hosted by 12 hotels. Easily over 10000 participants. And there is a daily conference newspaper AND conference TV news, telecast to participating hotels and shuttle buses. Fark....

Part of the exhibition hall at the Boston Conference and Exhibition Center

I've noted at least 7 research abstracts from Singapore. Ran into the Singaporeans presenting their research. It was great hearing the 'lahs' and all. I must say, looking at their presentations, I'm impressed by the research they're doing over there. Some pretty interesting and high-powered stuff. Also met some Malaysians there who were attending.

The conference might have been in session, but these international participants were still able to keep up with the World Cup games!

On Monday, I had the most expensive meal I've ever eaten in my life. I hope to never exceed this again. Some REALLY swanky restaurant that took your credit card numbers when you phoned in to make reservations. For every person in your party that doesn't show up, they charge US $50! Fifty farking moolahs per head!! Don't play play. Dress code- Suits were suggested. My meal alone cost US$95. One measly glass of Riesling $15. KNNCCB! I was afraid that if I'd sneezed on the napkin they'd slap me with an extra $12. I bet they charge $8* for you to take a leak (*tap water and paper towels not included). Even with our supergenerous travel budget this was pretty steep. The food was excellent. French-European. But, like the smalltown ah beng that I am, I came out thinking how much more satisfied (and full) I'd be if I had a RM 6 nasi lemak ayam.
My presentation went well. The gist of it, a case of ectopic ACTH producing tumor from a bronchial carcinoid. Teaching points: 1) when you see some ridiculously high numbers like a 24-hour urinary free cortisol of 10,340, it's likely gonna be an ectopic; 2) CT and MRI are the preferred imaging modalities. Octreotide and PET scan appear to have a limited roles; 3) these things can stay occult for years.


Downtown Boston. The old and the new; a contrast

Christian Science Church and reflecting pool, Boston

Statue of Benjamin Franklin at the Old City Hall, Boston's historic Freedom Trail


Overall, a great conference albeit a bit tiring. I attended more talks and symposiums than I expected to, but it was an excellent learning experience listening to world experts speak. Finally got back to Minnesota today. Had lunch at the airport TGIF before I catching my connecting. Felt very uncomfortable, having a head bust of Yoda above my table. Damn thing was creeping me out.