Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Cultural exchange

The problem (and the joy ) of having an American girlfriend is the language and cultural barrier. You can be cussing at the pesky bugs and the smell of gardening manure in your native tongue, but if you time it right and have the right intonations and facial expression, can have her thinking that you're admiring the daisies and enjoying the blessed warmth of the summer sun. But since she's such a trooper, I've been teaching her some key Malaysian words and phrases. Words she can use to impress my parents (Wow, Auntie Vagus, your fried rice is damn c*bai good-lah!).
So far, words I'm hoping to teach/have taught:

  • Kwai poh /kwai loh
  • Pang sai/Lau sai
  • Leng lui
  • - lah!
  • Ham sap
  • Tandas
  • Lor mai kai


Still some ways to go before I can work up to pukima, KNNCCB or even CB or KKC. After all, I wouldn't want her to know that her boyfriend's lastname in Chinese is 'penis'. That would make for unreasonably high expectations for the future. (On a personal note: yes, I suffered terribly during those cruel years in elementary school when my mates called me KKC unceasingly).

And someday, I'll teach her to drive like a Malaysian: driving on the left side of the road, perpetually talking on the cellphone while driving, music turned up to >100 decibels, sudden turns without using the indicator, frequent use of the international handsign of peace and friendship ( ).

But she's a fast learner; am sure Kris, my young padawan will be fine.

Anyways. Feel free to make suggestions about vital Malaysian phrases and words she needs to learn. And of course save some for me to use if she goes shopping with my credit cards.