Sunday, June 25, 2006

A venting post

My migraine's acting up, and this caught me in the right sort of mood, kinda like things leading up to the perfect storm:
So after my last post, someone complained that I should stop commenting about not seeing Malaysians here. The sense I'm getting is this 'dude' was offended.

look dude, stop repeatedly commenting about not seeing any malaysians..not everyone else is as fortunate as you to be over here. perhaps you would like to sponsor someone from home?

I have this to say to you. It's not meant to offend. And not in the least bit targeted at the hardworking HO/MO physicians. But it does reflect my disappointment that the MOH isn't more proactive in encouraging intellectual and academic growth. Yes, I do think the MOH should pay. Most institutions do subsidise or sponsor their doctors if they get their work accepted; it's a form of reward. We talk big all the time about wanting to grow and wanting to be a leader in some fields. Well, it's not gonna happen if no one does anything.
Perhaps if we spent less money making bridges to nowhere, or purchasing submarines we don't need or making huge-ass flags to drape on and desecrate other countries' treasured landmarks or sending delegations of politicians and their families to 'learning trips' to Europe, will we have some money to promote intellectual growth.
But I have to say this to you too. The thing that irks me the most is how you come to my website, my virtual abode, and lecture me one what to write about, and what not to write about. I'm assuming you're a physician or at least a medical student, and so one can assume that you have some common sense. So please don't act like someone's forcing your eyelids open with toothpicks and making you to type out the URL www.stupiduglydoctorslife.blogspot.com only to have to come and complain about things you don't like seeing.
That's dumb. And plain bad manners. You don't visit your in-laws' house and complain their tea sucks. Get your own damn blog.
And no, I have a girlfriend now, so I'm not sponsoring anyone. Not even if you're Amber Chia herself. Well. Maybe negotiable...