Tuesday, December 06, 2005

These things seem to come in streaks.
A vast majority of my thyroid nodule patients have benign disease. Very occassionally, the biopsies turn out to be cancer.
This week, it was 2 in a row. 2 patients I biopsied last week. Papillary thyroid carcinoma.
I remember the days when I was an intern. If the first patient of the night had a-fib with RVR (atrial fibrillation with rapid ventricular response) you knew your next few would have the same thing. Ditto for NSTEMIs. Or CHF.
I suppose, in endo, PTC has relatively good prognosis. Unlike the other cancers out there, thankfully. And it was just serendipity that these were came to be discovered. I just hope I didn't ruin someone's Christmas season.
Back on the inpatient service now, and will be oncall for the next 2 weeks. Some very interesting cases, not the usual stuff; insulin antibodies, adrenocortical carcinoma.