Thursday, August 20, 2015

Hunting for a school bag

We took Alli schoolbag shopping the other day. And I have to say, it brought some warm memories back to me. Except this was a variant of what I did when I was a child.
I remember being excited as mom and dad took us to get our schoolbags. Back then, it seemed that the popular ones were the bright yellow 3M backpacks that every kid in school had. You know, the one that was big and yellow and waterproof, with a metal clasp to hold the flap in place? That feeling of pride, when you carry your brand-spanking-new bag for the first time, loaded with freshly sharpened pencils and a new eraser, in a shiny pencil case?
Except this time, it was me taking my child out to pick her own backpack. We took her to the store and she was so excited looking at the racks and racks of back packs. Checking each out carefully. And instead of getting something boyish with superheroes or robots or planes or cars, she picks a pretty purple-pink princess bag. With Cinderella, Rapunzel, Ariel, and Belle on it.
And this time, instead of excitement (well, I guess I am a bit excited), it was a lot of other emotions. My wife and I had our moments when we looked at each other and tried not to tear up. Our girl's growing so fast.
Come Monday when she starts school, I'm pretty sure we will be a mess. Wish us luck!