Monday, May 13, 2013

Holy Shit!!

That's what my patient yelled.
Literally.
So loud that my nurse thought he was angry at me.
"Holy Shit!!"
 
When I saw him 3 months ago and did nothing to adjust his insulin program, he wasn't impressed. He wasn't happy that I instead suggested he spends some quality time with my diabetes educator.
"Why can't you just tell me what dose of insulin to use?"
 
Because things change. Diet and meals. Activity levels. On a daily basis. So rather than making a change for him, it's often best to provide a person the knowledge and tools of carbohydrate counting, and insulin adjustment principles. It was clear Mr. D would benefit from it as he had little insight on how to adjust.
 
And so when I saw him the other day and handed him his bloodtest result, and it showed his hemoglobin A1c to be 6.4%, that was his reaction. From a previous 13.3%.
 
As they say, give a man a fish and he will eat for a meal. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Well done, Mr. D.