Monday, May 07, 2007

Departure

We leave for KLIA tonight. Though this year, I haven't the luxury to sit down and really feel the depressing, impending countdown to departure. In a stupid way, I'm almost keen on getting back to work on my presentation to the division in 2 weeks, and my oral presention at a meeting in Toronto next month.
Anyways. I know I will miss Malaysia. With all her imperfections (the States has her own share of 'em too). The lush greenery. The food. The loud, rambunctious social interactions (something that unnerved Kristin initially). The language. The traffic. The squatting toilets. You know that though you return every year, something will be different. Something always changes. New highways. New buildings. Even The Star newspapers looked different. Even without your social network.
Friends and I were talking the other day when we met in KL. 4 buddies came to meet us, pushing 2 baby strollers. And the stuff we were talking about was vastly different from our highschool days. That was something new to me. And I know next year, there'll probably be a few more strollers (not mine!). I suppose that's the way life goes. The Stages of Life, reflected in your gang's topic of conversation:
  • Which technique of throwing a guli (marble) is best
  • How to impress girls
  • Cars and cellphones
  • Buying homes and getting married
  • The best baby food, diapers
  • Best school for your kids
  • Hypertension/cholesterol-lowering medications
  • Adult diapers
    Alrighty, Malaysia. Thanks for a wonderful time. Friends, thanks for the well-wishes. Till the next time (July 2008?), take care.