Friday, April 07, 2006

On a dark & stormy night...

Time: 2200 hrs
Location: At home
Activitity: Having a pillow fight with 4 blonde bombshells. Ok, fine. Watching TV and drinking Milo
Beep beep beep, beep beep beep, beep beep beep
Damn. My pager.
Me: "Hi. This is Dr. V. I was paged..." (Let this be a wrong number...)
Her: "Oh hi, thanks for calling back. Is this peds endo?"
Me: "Er. Sortakinda...." (read: no, this is the ADULT endocrinology fellow, who's doing a rotation in something that doesn't concern him)
Her: "Pardon?"
Me: "Never mind. Yea, this is endo. Shoot, go ahead." (Endo is endo, right? Kids are just small adults. Maybe I can clinch this one. After all I take pretty good care of my adult patients. And I AM board-certified in internal medicine)
Her: "Ok. Well, we have this 3 day old fullterm baby boy who had a newborn metabolic screen that showed bla-bla-blah-might-as-well-be-talking-in-Greek-cos-I'm-not-a-blardi-pediatrician-bla-bla.... So, what should we do? "
Me: O_o (I fight the overwhelming temptation to pretend I'm losing the cellular connection)
". . . . . . . . . . . . hmmm . . . . . . . . . .ahem, cough cough. . . . . . . . . . (scratches chin). . . . . . . . "
(Apparently, kids are not just small adults)
Her: "Hello, are you still there?"
Me: "Let me talk to my boss and call you back!"
Her: >_<
I hate this rotation.
Though I suppose this is better than when I was oncall for infectious diseases as a resident and got weird phonecalls from ulu-hospitals seeking advice on proper antibiotics for septic patients already on gorillamycin and tyrannosaurofloxacin. Now that was WAY out of my league.