Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A few weeks ago when I was home, having dimsum breakfast with Alvin, I checked my mailbox and found this email from the editor of
I forgot that months ago, I had submitted a story from my blog (well, from my digital diary which preceded my blog actually) for a short story contest about cancer (I did edit my reflections; you might be able to pick up a hint of personal conflict comparing the two). Never mind that being a US resident I didn't qualify for prizes. I just wanted to share that story.
Anyway, that email was a pleasant surprise, for apparently, some people thought my story was pretty good, and scored pretty high marks. And though I didn't win anything, they still put my story on their website (it was easy for me to be nonchalant about the prize; I didn't know then that prizes included iPods and other toys >_<).
Though that event was from early on in my career (I was on oncology; must have been May 2003), I remember the events pretty vividly. I can still picture which room on the 4th floor the patient stayed in. I remember the discussion I had with her parents. And the picture of her son her mother showed me. I remember them well.
By the way, if someone decides to award me with a prize, it's still not too late, you know.... (I'll take a black iPod please)


Anonymous coolcat said...

Yea, I remember that entry. Nearly cried when I read it - the original and unedited version. It was so touching.

6:44 PM  
Blogger WMD: Wife, Mother, Daughter said...

Tks for sharing the story and the link to the other stories. Very inspirational and moving.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspirational - the story of life and humanity. Your observations on the dead is interesting.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous anastasia said...

It's so touching. I really loved your original post too. U do deserve a prize not only for the story but for being such a supportive doctor for them. (nope, no iPods from me =P)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Lydia Teh said...

That's a wonderful story, so poignant... All doctors should be like you. Sometimes I wonder if experience hardens a doctor and makes them less sensitive to the emotional needs of patients and their loved ones. Don't ever lose your empathy. BTW I've just posted an entry in my new blog on your query about how did my mum's angio go. Thanks for asking.

11:39 AM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

ninest123 10.22
jordan shoes, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, ugg boots clearance, christian louboutin, replica watches, cheap uggs, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, rolex watches, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet online sale, chanel handbags, nike shoes, uggs outlet, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, nike free, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg outlet, uggs, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren, air max, louboutin, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, prada outlet, tiffany and co

1:16 AM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

ray ban pas cher, air max, new balance pas cher, sac guess, kate spade handbags, nike roshe run pas cher, true religion outlet, coach outlet, converse pas cher, nike free pas cher, nike blazer, michael kors outlet, nike roshe, coach factory outlet, polo lacoste, louboutin, true religion jeans, michael kors pas cher, nike free, sac burberry, coach outlet store online, nike air max, timberland, air jordan, lululemon outlet online, hollister, north face, coach purses, air max pas cher, longchamp, ralph lauren, abercrombie and fitch, hogan outlet, hollister, vanessa bruno, north face, oakley pas cher, sac hermes, michael kors uk, true religion outlet, mulberry, ray ban sunglasses, nike air force, nike tn, air max, sac longchamp pas cher, michael kors, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren, vans pas cher, ray ban sunglasses

1:19 AM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

hollister, north face outlet, louboutin, nike huaraches, hollister clothing store, reebok outlet, lululemon outlet, baseball bats, chi flat iron, timberland boots, soccer shoes, converse shoes, bottega veneta, mont blanc, p90x, jimmy choo outlet, nike roshe run, vans shoes, herve leger, abercrombie, iphone cases, oakley, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, instyler, nike trainers, vans, mcm handbags, north face jackets, birkin bag, air max, insanity workout, beats by dre, celine handbags, ferragamo shoes, converse, asics running shoes, mac cosmetics, nfl jerseys, ghd, ray ban, abercrombie and fitch, valentino shoes, longchamp, new balance shoes, air max, gucci, giuseppe zanotti, soccer jerseys, ray ban sunglasses, babyliss pro

1:20 AM  
Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

ugg, toms shoes, moncler, ugg, michael kors outlet online, sac lancel, karen millen, marc jacobs, montre homme, michael kors outlet, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, doke gabbana, rolex watches, sac louis vuitton, canada goose, canada goose outlet, moncler, moncler, sac louis vuitton, canada goose, links of london, louis vuitton uk, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, wedding dresses, hollister, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler, barbour, juicy couture, ugg boots, canada goose, moncler, pandora charms, coach outlet store online, canada goose jackets, canada goose uk, ugg, swarovski crystal, moncler outlet, michael kors handbags, canada goose, supra shoes, moncler, louis vuitton, swarovski, barbour
ninest123 10.22

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home