Friday, August 19, 2005

Farewell


For the last 3 years now I have been stubbornly stupid (or maybe it's stupidly stubborn) about an issue in my life. Someone who stepped into my life for a time, left her unforgettable mark, and went away (okay, I went away, to be exact. I came here). Those were among the most memorable months in my early working life, and she was one of the most mesmerizing women I'd met. Still am.
But then fate put me here. And things, life, unfolded as it has.
For someone who claims he believes things happen for a reason, I certainly wasn't seeing too clearly.
And so I struggled. Held on. Hoped. Waited. Yearned.
Despite the signs.
And then, recently, like a slap on the cheek, things become clear. Perhaps it was divine intervention, a flashing neon signboard from God:
"Enough already, some things are meant to be. Some aren't."

I received the news today. Good news for some. Equivocal for me. My reaction was more of a "Okay, that's that then. I'm finally seeing what You've been trying to show me."
Perhaps a bit saddened, but just a touch. But happy too that something is going well for a friend.

Things have been pretty dynamic in my life the last couple of months. Some things ending. Some new things. New people I've met. People I enjoy, but perhaps felt inhibited by other unresolved issues. Perhaps now, I can move on, and see what happens.
If this is cryptic, it's probably meant to be so. But if this feels like I'm talking to you, because I know you come here occasionally, then I am: I wish you all the best in your move. I'm happy for you, really. Perhaps ours are of those paths that cross and then diverge, to continue in their separate directions. But know that those months will always remain memorable to me. And if we ever do meet up again, remember you owe me a beer (and a platinum Star Wars DVD collection)!