Sunday, December 08, 2013

Snow!

There's something magical about the first snowfall of the season.
(Ok, it's not really the first, but we were in Malaysia then, so this is our first)
Despite all the complaining I do about the cold, the truth is I love the seasons. And I don't mind the winters as much as I do the KL heat.
Snow is beautiful as it is. But when you get a dump of fresh, white snow a few weeks before the coming Christmas holidays, it really gets you into the mood. Our tree is up, and we have our Christmas lights on, while the radio station is playing holiday tunes all day. It's really beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
We took Ava out into the snow today. While she wasn't quite sure what to make of it, it was clear she had a great time. She was cold, but yet kept saying "more" whenever I stopped pulled her on the sled. And she quickly learnt to catch snowflakes on her tongue.
 
However, there are other interesting things about the winter months that the Christmas songs aren't likely to tell you about. Things like:
  • How you get huge dry boogers in the winter
  • The dry air causes a lot of static build-up; you see sparks when you're moving around in bed and rubbing your clothes on the sheets
  • Your skin is so dry that you're itching incessantly
  • How it's a weird feeling when your boogers freeze in the cold [I think Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes fame)] mentioned that once
Yea, something I'd love to hear someone sing these in a Christmas song. I'd probably be able to relate more to it that roasting chestnuts on an open fire (what is a chestnut, anyway?)