Thursday, February 07, 2013

New Year Blues

Sigh. I always get the blues this time of the year. More so that during Christmas or any other holiday. Simply because growing up, Chinese New Year was THE celebration of the year for my family. And so, being a gazillion miles away, in a place with no littlest feel of the festivities, in the freakishly cold, does make one feel quite homesick.
Especially when many other friends are gloating on Facebook that they are travelling back for CNY. Sonsofbitches.
Someday, I keep telling myself. Someday, I'd like to bring my girls, ALL my girls (Kris, Alli and Ava) back to Malaysia during Chinese New Year. I'd love to show them the sights and sounds and smells. The high-pitched warbling of the CNY songs. The smell of the incense. The unescapable redness everywhere. When nightfalls, the popping of the fireworks, accompanied by the laughter of kids.
The glorious, glorious food.
Sigh, I'm making myself cry.
Perhaps in a few years when they are old enough to absorp it all in. I've love to show the girls what their daddy grew up with. What his "Christmases" were like. Someday, but not this year.
This year, we're saving most of our trip time and budget for my sister's wedding in November. We'll see if I survive the flight.
In the meantime, hope the rest of you are enjoying prepping your homes for CNY. And stuffing the Angpows with cash. Just do yourself a favor; don't spread bad luck by using the wrong red packets.