Sunday, January 20, 2013

Being Asian

It's interesting being Asian in the USA. More so in the midwest I suppose.
Have I been a victim of malicious racism? Not, sad to say, I've never seen it here firsthand, the way I do in my native land. But I digress.
If anything else, there are other generalizations of Asians. The one I see most frequently: We Asians know electronics/computers.
I get this all the time. But probably more so last month during the holiday season when we spent the holidays with my own in-laws. I was peppered with questions like:
  • Which digital camera should I buy?
  • Which amongst these is the best laptop? HP or Dell or Toshiba?
  • What's wrong with my TV?
  • How do I hook these things up?
  • Grandma is trying to find the best deal: What cellphone company should she use? Which cellphone?
  • Why is my laptop doing that?
Not that I mind. Actually, they probably know that I enjoy going online to do research on electronics when I don't have the answers.
But it's interesting how many think that if you're of an Oriental origin, then somewhere embedded in your DNA is infinite knowledge about electronics.
Maybe I should get a 2nd job at Bestbuy.