Thursday, February 28, 2013

Miracle Oil


Speaking as a Malaysian Chinese raising an American daughter with a Caucasian wife, I have to say it makes me immensely proud to see my little munchkin reaching for my good ole' Minyak Angin Cap Kapak whenever she complains of a tummy ache.
There are many things my little girl will never understand or know. Things of my heritage. But she seems to have picked this up on her own (as mom absolutely abhors the smell).
Ah, the minyak angin (literally 'wind oil', or camphorated oil) is something every Chinese household would never be without.
We've used it for migraines, gastroenteritis, nausea, sprains.
Heck, I bet it'd even work for my diabetes or thyroid patients!
It's like the miracle oil. I've even seen people ingest this when they're ill (I wonder if that high school friend who routinely did that is still alive?)
It reminds me of Toula's father's obsession with using Windex, in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Now, I wonder if there are published randomized controlled trials out there?