Monday, February 25, 2013

Self Check-in Kiosks


I saw this in one of my rounding hospitals the other day when I went in to see a consult. Self Check-in Kiosks?!!
I was so curious I just had to ask the receptionist who was nearby. Apparently, it's a newly launched program, mainly for elective procedures and things like that.
Outpatient surgery, endoscopies.
Obviously, this won't work for the patients who have to be admitted for some unexpected illness.
But these apparently have been adopted by numerous medical institutions to make things (supposedly) more seamless and quicker. And it has the ability to scan personal ID.
And though there wasn't any takers for these when I was there (the lines were for only the manned reception), I have to say I left fascinated by the prospect.
What will they think of next?
(Drive-though colonoscopies?)