Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ties

Some ties might be stronger than you think sometimes.
I attended the Malaysian night last weekend, organized by the huge population of Malaysian students at one of the universities here. At the start, the national anthems of the USA were played, and people asked to join in.
It was the first time in perhaps 18 years that I actually sang the Negaraku (well, not counting those nights when I ran out of lullabies to sing to Alli to put her to sleep!).
And, in an unexpected moment of nostalgia and patriotism, I teared up.
I really did.
I guess some things will never change. I may be a permanent resident here now, and despite my disgust of the extent of corruption and racial politics being practised, I will always be Malaysian.
(also demonstrated by the amount of nasi impit and satay sauce I was inhaling at the dinner!)