Sunday, April 08, 2012

Communicating

It's amazing how things have changed.
I remember the days when I was in medical school in Canada (holy shit- it has been over 12 years??). Staying in touch meant: writing a letter (yes, with a pen and paper- remember that?), sticking a stamp on it and sending it off. Wait 2-3 weeks for a reply from mom/dad or friends. When I felt generous, there was the telephone with a calling card I had saved up for.
Email was in its infancy (at least for me). Some friends had it, some didn't. And I didn't have broadband and couldn't afford dialup.
Now, things are different. I catch myself in awe seeing this every weekend.
Thanks to the wonders of the internet + Skype, my daughter is able to see her Ah Kong and Ah Ma in Malaysia on a weekly basis. Or her Grandpa and Grandmom in Wisconcin.
Here's Alli, trying to get a piece of Ah Kong's breakfast!
No, it doesn't replace the physical closeness, but it's still amazing to be able to do that, and to have them talk and watch her run around, or stuff toast into her mouth, or jump on the bed.
I'm excited to see what technology will allow us to do in the next 12 years. And the day they're selling Star Trek's food replicator at Best Buy, I'll be the first in line (provided they have an extensive Malaysian menu!)