Wednesday, March 30, 2011

4 days

4 days.

In 4 days, we start our long journey to Malaysia. Admittedly, for the first time, I'm nervous- travelling with a 9 month old, on a 20+ hour flight, might just be a challenge.

Before I was a father, I'd always give parents of little babies the evil eye. I'd be thinking, "Your baby had better not be bawling the entire journey", or "What idiot brings a baby on a plane trip?". Not that I'd ever say anything.

Yes, I was a pretty selfish SOB.

But now that I'm a father, I feel a sense of guilt- taking poor Alli on such a long journey, but also guilt towards my co-passengers on Saturday's flight. I'd be hoping that my daughter remains the angel that she is, and keeps the fussing to a minimum.

Yes, in 4 days. This was a relatively last minute trip. We had planned to travel back to Malaysia next year. But, as it turns out, a good friend isn't doing too well with his chemo. We miss them terribly, and hope to bring some cheer to him if nothing else. And we didn't want to wait a year.

And so, in 4 days we start the long journey back to the Land of Satay, Nasi Lemak, Teh Tarik, Char Kuay Teow, and Secret Videos of Politicians Having Sex (if you're Malaysian, you'll understand that last one!).