Monday, March 07, 2011

Sick Day

And so I'm home sick today. Probably thanks to the munchkin; she has been graciously picking up and sharing whatever bugs there are in Daycare. I've never fallen ill so many times before; just last month I took my very first sick day, in my 3 years of work since I joined my group. And now, just 4 weeks later, I'm down with some crud again.
And truth be told, I felt horribly guilty calling in this morning to tell the office manager to reschedule the patients. For one, I've had a terrible headache since yesterday, I ache, am running a fever of 102.8 F and my throat hurts like the devil. The bed has been very accomodating today, though I feel horrible knowing that some patients waited 6 weeks for an appointment with me, and many probably took a day off planning to drive in to town for the visit. And so, this always gets me thinking:
What would patients prefer? Would someone prefer to just see the physician, knowing that although the illness may be contagious, it's not anthrax? Because, as someone on the receiving end, I'd be pissed if I took the day off to see the dentist, only to have him cancel on me.
Or, would patients prefer to reschedule and not risk seeing a physician who may not be on top of his game because he feels crummy, and risk picking up whatever cooties his nostrils may transmit to his hands, and then to you?
Humor me. This is a legitimate survey and I'd really like to know.


Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.