Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hair Loss

Out of jest (and okay 50% out of frustration, I admit), I told a patient,

"You know, if you really wanted to see someone for hair loss, you probably shouldn't have picked an balding endocrinologist".
Seriously (and someone please tell me, why do those GPs send their alopecia patients to endo?). Ok, when I was a kid, I had so much hair some people thought I was a little girl. And in highschool, my trusty follicles were lush enough that I sported the then-popular Tommy Page hairdo (why is it that if he was American and such a hit, why has NO ONE here ever heard of him?).
And then 2 years ago, I got married. Still had plenty of hair. I realized this looking through my pictures from fellowship and reminiscing the good old times. And to my alarm, in a short span of just 2 years, my hair has been rapidly thinning to the point that, well, you get the point.
Is it the marriage? Or the high-stress job?? Perhaps the 'warmer' climate in this part of the Midwest?
A badly angled picture, especially with the flash, shows my scalp in all its glory.
The morals of story:
1) If you want to keep your hair, don't get married (I know Kristin has a thing for bald men. I suspect that when we're asleep, she's secretly plucking out my hair, a few every night)
2) If you're seeking treatment for thinning hair, don't be asking for advice from the guy who obviously has less hair than you. Believe you me, if I had the cure I'd be the first in line
Well, maybe not. I'm not sure I'm really all that bothered by it. One of these days, I keep tempting myself to shave it all off...