Saturday, October 04, 2008

Updates on Claudia

So many have asked me:
How's the car?
Well. The suspension is stiff and the ride bumpy.
It's a manual transmission, so my left foot's been feeling tired from working the clutch.
The mileage is nowhere near my late-Veronica's (my Accord).
And the Boxster, after all, IS the cheapest Porsche. Doesn't get half the respect the 911 does.

But man, Claudia's one swell car to drive. There really isn't anything like driving a Porsche on the highway with top down. With the plexiglass windstop, even 70 mph, the wind buffetting is minimal, and you can have a fairly normal conversation.
I'm finding that I'm making the smallest excuses to go out and run errands, just so to drive. And at work (pathetic, I know) I'm wanting to get done early not to get home fast, but just to be able to drive home while the sun is still up, just so I can drive with the convertible top down. I'm trying to make the most of it, before I have to put the hardtop back on.
And though the mileage is worse than the Accord's, I'm still getting about 25 mpg city and 29 mpg highway. And on the midrange super-unleaded (yea, I know premium's recommended, but the Porsche has a knock sensor, and many others have used this with no problems). So it's actually not bad.
And the egomaniac in me is saying this: I love how this car turns heads. People gawk and point. Just do not stall the car when working the clutch. Trust me. It's happened once.
I hate to appear shallow and seem to derive so much pleasure from a material thing, but really, I just love this car.
(ask me again in 3 months when the snow's here)