Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Genius?

Dr. V is this nice research endocrinologist in my division. Almost geriatric, semi-hunched over with his thoracic kyphosis, steel-rimmed glasses and kindly eyes. Always remembers people by name. Friendly.
He seems to know something about everything. And then someone spread this rumour about him being one of the smartest guys in the world. Which we thought was just bullsh*t, the kind of rumour people spread like "TK's got genital hippopotamo-elephantiasis from fondling the squirrels' lanciau at the backyard."
(Obviously, I made that up. If I had you doubting for a moment, I think we can deduce your IQ. For the record, it wasn't the squirrels)
Until someone did a Google search. Keywords "Highest IQ Guinness Book of records". Holy shit, his name came up (obviously, I'm not gonna blatantly point out his name, but it's somewhere in there).
IQ 197.
Kinda makes you feel small.
But humble as he is, he never showed it.
I'm afraid to look him up on Medline. He's probably got somewhere in the 200 range or more publications.
I wonder how much ginseng and bird's nest I need to drink before I can get smart. I'd probably need to deprive generations of swallows of their home before I can break a hundred.