Monday, October 17, 2005

I read something today that really spoilt my night. Something that seems so uncivilized, so selfish, that it boggles the mind. Me, reading as a physician, a human being, and one with a grandpa who had a stroke.
I don't usually let things I read on blogs piss me off (unless it's something racially discriminating/biased). But this one entry was about how this blogger felt that the disabled shouldn't be entitled to have their own disabled toilets.

As far as I am concerned, you have a physical disability - and that is where you
have a disadvantage. Your bladder is working fine isn't it? So you wait, just like normal people do, when there is a queue for the toilet. The rest of us queue up to use a toilet - I don't see why the disabled should be any different. Don't even go near the issue of handicapped parking lots. That is different, because waiting for a parking lot is not a matter of 2 minutes.

Man, that takes the cake. I used to find her blog entertaining. And then it got shallower and shallower, nothing but pictures of her cute self prancing about under an inch of make-up (which is ok, everyone's entitled to some narcissism, even ugly people like myself).
It's obvious though, this person has no idea what a disabled person might have to go through. And no, often their bladders are not working fine, you moron.
The way karma works though, I hope she doesn't one day pop a cerebral artery and stroke out and become wheelchair-bound or something. Or throw a clot to her brain from smoking or taking oral contraceptives.
Or worse, have someone in her family become handicapped. Because the way things work, what goes around, comes around. Then again, with her out of the equation, it'll probably be different; I doubt the rest of the world is that selfish.
And yes, I'm intentionally leaving out names/web addresses. While I like to bitch, moderation is key. And secondly, in the unlikely event that a disabled person chances upon my blog, I'd prefer to spare that person from actually going to her blog and reading every immature, spoilt word.