Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Always in our hearts and minds

Dr. Tan Tow Shung
November 6th 1978- May 18th 2011

I can't believe it's been 6 years. The time just flew by, the 6 years since you left us here on Earth to be at a better place. In that 6 years, we've all aged but you remain ageless in our hearts, my friend. In that 6 years, our families have grown, our outlook in life has changed significantly. We have learnt much professionally.
But yet, it doesn't seem like that long ago when we were together, as room-mates and best of friends. I remember fondly the simpler days, days without other responsibilities, days when we would hit the Xbox and play round-the clock Halo on weekends. Our hitting the buffets postcall as our comfort food. All that crazy shit only bored Malaysian boys can think of.
I think about life's unfairness. How, you, at the prime of your life and at the start of a very promising medical career, how a cancer doctor can himself be stricken by esophageal cancer. I think about the long hard battle you fought, the times we visited you in the hospital when you had reactions to chemo, or when you underwent surgery. I remember that time when played cards in the hospital family room.
Truth be told, I miss my confidante. I know you're somewhere up there, watching us. But I miss our talks, and your words of wisdom.
It's been 6 years. But we'll never forget you. And till we meet again some sunny day, memories of our friendship and brotherhood will always hold you near to the heart.