Friday, May 18, 2012

One Year Later

It's surreal.
Has it really been a year?
One year ago, Buddy left us all in this world for a better one in the next. And yet, it seems like it wasn't that long ago, when we had those crazy times as housemates in Minnesota. Those many post-call buffett dinners at Golden Corral, to complain about the stupid admissions the ER was sending up. Or for him to hear of my failed attempts to impress a girl
It doesn't feel like that long ago when we got hooked real bad on Halo, then Halo 2 and Halo 3.
Or when I excitedly told him after his trip to Malaysia that I had met someone special who would later be my wife. How he then became the Best Man at my wedding. Or how I got to return the favor the year later.
It's surreal too, how this wonderful young man, a budding oncologist training at one of the top hospitals in the world, was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. How, he one day noticed a lump above his left collarbone, and joked about it being a Virchow's node, a joke that only became prophetic.
It was a battle my gallant friend fought for years, but then lost. One year ago.
Anyone else, especially me, would have spent the final years bitter, angry, lost and hopeless. Not he. In those few years, he showed many the true meaning of strength, and faith, and grace. I never heard him once complain or ask why. He went on living life as much as he could. He completed his training. Married the love of his life. And returned home to Malaysia to begin work.
It's been a year. And though, by the grace of God, we have many more to go before we meet, Buddy, we'll never forget you. You'll remain close to our hearts.