Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving, folks! As we celebrate this holiday, let's take a moment to reflect on all the things we can be thankful for. Things we take for granted. For me, it's my family, and our health. My parents are here with us for this this year which is a bonus. And yes, if you're wondering, that's a turkey sitting in a pail. Will pop her into the oven for the traditional turkey dinner. If you're into roasting turkeys, you'll find that it's all in the brine. Given the amount of time the bird stays in the oven, there is a tendency for the breastmeat to dry out. So, putting the turkey in a salt solution keeps the meat moist. For my recipe, I use a cup of salt, half a cup of brown sugar, ground peppercorn, aniseed and cloves. You can also use apple cider/juice in place of the cold water. Let it soak for a day before the big roast. Give it a try!
Happy Holidays, everyone!