Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

As usual, our maniacal chef (mua) got to play with his trusty flavor injector again.A lot of basting, herbs, and 4 hours later, waa-laa:
One juicy 16 lb turkey.
Really though, the secret to a juicy turkey is brining. Roasting the turkey for so long tends to dry the breastmeat out. So, my secret is to dip the bird in brine overnight. What I use are:
  • 1 cup salt
  • Half cup brown sugar
  • Minced cloves, aniseeds, allspice
  • Also what I do is to inject the bird with flavoring (I use a concoction of soysauce and orange juice), and then make about a dozen slits in the meat and stuff in cloves of garlic.
  • Lastly, cover the top part of the bird with foil- prevents burning.
Works every time.
Also tried out this new recipe for pumpkin pie, with a twist. Besides pumpkin filling, I also added a cup of apple butter. Pretty damn good, even if I may so so myself.
The dogs seemed to agree.
Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving, folks!