Saturday, September 05, 2009

Letter of Reference

Things are certainly beginning to turn full circle. My medical student asked me to write him a letter of reference the other day. For residency application, that is. Programs begin accepting applications this month, I believe, and most programs require 3 or more letters. I was in his position, oh, 9 (gawd was it that long??) years ago.

Not the best medstudent I've worked with, but still, a good kid. Sure, I told him. I could write him a letter (if I didn't think I could at least say something nice in a letter I would have told him to ask someone else). I did sit him down to ask him to tell me about anything else he might have done during his month-long stint in endo that I might not have been aware off. And talked to my other colleagues for feedback too. And had him give me a copy of his CV.

And so the other night I did something I had never done before. I wrote a student a letter of recommendation:

"Dear Program Director,
It is with pleasure that I write this letter of recommendation for Mr. B....

Yours truly,
Assistant Professor Vagus "
I'm thinking this will be the first of many. I hope it gets him where he wants to go.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrote many references for Residents the past few years for Fellowship applications.
The most recent Resident took up the Fellowship offer at Mayo,Florida.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Yup, full circle. :)

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home