Friday, August 28, 2009

Hah! 30.6 mpg! And they said Porsches were fuel-thirsty animals. Eat your hearts out, Toyota Prius (erm, not really, this isn't any basis for comparison)(and dear readers, never take cellphone pictures when car is in motion- I was at the lights).Okay, granted, this was unusual in that I did a lot of highway driving this week. And was so very light-footed that 80-year old grannies were probably faster than I was. And the traffic was pretty good so there wasn't a lot of stop-go traffic, and drove with the top up all week. Still, call me frugal, but 30.6 miles per gallon highway on REGULAR, not premium gasoline for a Porsche Boxster has gotten me pretty impressed (yes, premium gasoline is recommended but the car does come with a knock sensor that supposedly adjusts to the octane rating, and I've checked out the forums and no one's had any problems yet, and I've done 89 octane for the last year). I suppose it's a good thing I didn't get the Boxster S.
But don't get me started on being frugal with gasoline- you'd never believe what a couple of Asian college students would do to stretch their money. I remember those college days when Alvin and I would car pool and we'd literally drive in the smouldering 29° C heat of equatorial midafternoon Malaysia with the air conditioning off, just to maximize our mileage.