Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back!

We're back!
And after a few glorious days in the sun, it was a shock to the system coming back to cold, snowy Iowa. It was -21 C this morning (not counting windchill).
Anyway, we had a swell time. It was my first time being on a cruise. We were on the Norwegian Sky, a 7,000 ton, 2000 passenger ship, sailing from Miami, Florida to Nassau, Bahamas, then to Great Stirrup Cay (NCL's private island) and then back.
It was nice to get away from all the snow and the cold and to be able to bask in the sun. Having said that, we did sign up for a 1 hour snorkelling trip but were ill-prepared for the 18 C waters despite the sun, and so lasted only 15 minutes in the water.


And for the first time ever, I went parasailing! It was an experience; a state of magnificence tranquility. You know the boat was pulling you along but yet all you heard was wind. And my yelling, that is. Kristin had done this before, so she wasn't quite as hysterical as I was.


Yes, we had a wonderful honeymoon, and although it was only 4 days, it was good to be able to leave everything behind, and just enjoy each other's company.
One interesting thing I learnt about cruises; the average passenger gains 1-2 lbs per DAY. Given how the food is already included in the fee, and you have 6 restaurants to choose from anytime you wish, I can see why this happens. The (kiasu) Malaysian in me, naturally, saw to it that I was never hungry. I ate until I became crosseyed.