Sunday, February 03, 2008

Superbowl XLII!!

Okay, I admit, I still don't get football. After all, I've been in North America only for 10 years. So go easy on me already, ok?
I confess, when people first started talking about Superbowl in my first year here, images of a huge candy bowl full of Skittles® came to mind. Why candy, I don't know, and why there were girls in bikini fighting in that bowl for the sweets, I haven't the foggiest idea.
While I still don't understand football, and why the hype over men in tights running after and pummeling each other over a ball that's not even in the shape of a ball, I guess I'm able to at least vaguely comprehend what's going on.
Enough to know that 99% of every American would be glued to their TV sets watching the game. That the halftime performance will be by Tom Petty, probably most famous for his song, Free Fallin'.
I also know some simple football math.
Football=cheerleaders. Superbowl=funny TV ads and entertaining halftime shows.
And who could possibly forget, when Janet Jackson immortalized the phrase 'wardrobe malfunction'.
Yea, right. Come on. Leaving your fly open, fine. Having your button fall off, ok. But that?? And I'm thinking that women do not normally wear those titanium bullet-proof nipple shields unless you're planning to have JT rip off your bust. Or some hired gun to make an attempt on your life and shoot you, right there on the nips.
Needless to say, I was working on a research paper on thyroid nodules on Sunday evening and got restless. And decided to watch part of the Superbowl, live from Arizona. Some of the TV ads were pretty darn funny. But really, I wanted to see if the performer this year could live up to Janet Jackson's legendary performance.

But no, as entertaining as he was, nothing eventful happened. No one ripped off any parts of his clothes. Not that I was wanting to see that happen, but it would have been pretty darn funny.