Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tragic. Just tragic. We got news today of a colleague who was killed in a car crash recently. Though I've never met him in person, I've talked with him on the phone several times because we shared some patients with rare genetic conditions. And he was always helpful and keen to teach the ignorant endocrine fellow about C-E syndrome. Our patients will miss him, as will the rest of us.
A friendly, well-respected medical geneticist, on the way back from a weekend getaway, gets into a head-on collision with another car. His wife and 4 daughters are reportedly in critical condition. All wearing seat belts. He was only in his 40s.
And coming right after that horrible bus crash at home in which 20 died.
It's a grim reminder that life is short, and precious. And very very unexpected. To not take things for granted, nor too seriously. To appreciate the simple yet priceless things in life; the embrace of a spouse, the kiss of a child, time with family. Because you can be here one minute, and gone the next.

I recall one of my favourite quotes in highschool:
I shall walk this path but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show a fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect this. For I shall not walk this path again.
Let's pray for the recovery of those involved in the horrible crash.