Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I don't know why, but I found this extremely funny. In fact, funny doesn't quite cut it. It was farking hilarious. I squirted raspberry sorbet onto my white dress shirt.

Breastfeeding wave hits Putrajaya
By SIM LEOI LEOI
PUTRAJAYA: Twenty-three mothers breastfed their babies for a full minute at the Putrajaya Hospital today, in an attempt to create a new record in the Guinness Book of World Records.
The mothers were part of the "Global Breastfeeding Wave" - a worldwide campaign to get mothers to breastfeed their child for the first month. To take part, the mothers had to breastfeed for a full minute at 10am.

Now, don't get me wrong. I think breastfeeding is important, and the health benefits are clear. I think countries like Malaysia need to be more open to this, to encourage it more. But I don't think an attempt to get into the Guiness Book of Records for the most number of simultaneously breastfeeding moms really does anything, except to make us a laughing stock. Always wanting to get into some book of records for some stunt.

At least my colleagues and I had a good, hearty laugh. I'll be expecting an attempt soon for the highest number of people peeing into the same squatting toilet.

Addendum (update Aug 14th):
Seems I'm getting a lot of flak for this. Thanks to bulletin boards like
so. I'm not sure why people are thinking that I have something against breastfeeding moms. I thought it's clear I support breastfeeding. Read my lips: I found the use of this to get into the Book of Records funny, get it? Nothing personal. I find it funny here too, and in Canada or wherever else they do it.
I'm rather irritated though by the language in this mommy's breastfeeding bulletin board, that amongst other things I should be decapitated and thrown out of the country along with my family (and I thought moms were supposed to ensure kids used the proper language. Omigosh). Or how some of them came to the conclusion that I think US is better than Malaysia, or US this, US that bla-bla-bla. Maybe it was me, but I thought some of the comments in there were blatantly racist.
All I can say is, before you ketuk me, perhaps you can take a step back and see what I found amusing. And I never hope to see any talk about beheading someone again in a bulletin board as lovingly named as susuibu.com
I'll let the rest of you readers be the judge (and my lesson learnt: never piss off moms).