Monday, January 17, 2005

About Letting Go...

Was talking to one of my online friends about letting go. Suddenly old memories about a special someone start coming back.
How does love and life work? Is one born with a soulmate that one if destined to spend the rest of his or her life with? One you end up with regardless of what you do and where you go, simply because fate has plans for you?
Or do we have many potential mates out there, and the decisions we make in life bring us to the one we finally end up with? (Gawd, I must have made bad decisions then! :))
Years ago, I made a conscious decision to complete what I had set out to do. Work, training, career. That was 4 years ago (I was in the midst of deciding if I should stay in Malaysia or leave for the United States for further training). And in the process, I had to say goodbye to a young lady with whom I was madly in love. I was told much later that she felt something too.
I finally let go, 3 years later. Realizing that the distance will never let anything happen. I had been sending her flowers on her birthdays, Christmas and Valentine's Days for the last 3 years(easy with the USD:RM conversion). But I suppose my chats with Paul tonight reminded me of her.
That brings a movie to mind.
Serendipity.
One of my favourite soppy movies (something I would never admit to in real life, but the internet gives me some anonymity!)
John Cusack, Kate Beckinsdale.
A movie about love, but more importantly, Fate.
Fate. Is there really such a thing? Do we go around in life led by what was already written?

Will I finally know for sure only on my deathbed? Everyone seems to ask that at the very end.
So, 2 schools of thought.