Wednesday, June 01, 2011

While I'm still unsure of where I stand on this matter, I am however amazed and awed by their gallantry.



Japanese seniors volunteer for Fukushima 'suicide corps'
The group, consisting only of retirees age 60 and up, says it is uniquely poised to work at the radiation-contaminated plant, as the cells of an older person's body divide more slowly than a younger individual.


In times of crises, the Japanese can certainly rise up to the challenge. If this was, indeed, a suicide mission, is it not logical then for the elderly to volunteer?


(I suppose medically this makes sense as well, cancer risk increases inversely proportional to the age of the patient at radiation exposure, no? Ethically, well, I don't know what would be the right thing to do)


Let's hope the matter can be resolved soon.