Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ok, I'll admit it.
It's often easier to pop a pill than to change a habit.
In my case, since Alli came along, our lives have been turned upside down. And unlike the days when I was going to the gym 3 times a week, now I'm lucky if I'm going once a month.
So, my resolution is what I tell my patients: pick an activity that is practical to you. Something that is convenient to do, as for many it's hard to find time to go to the gym or the local pool. So, many of my patients will tell me they walk.
Walking's a good exercise; the problem is it's hard to be objective with walking. A leisurely walk in the mall is not the same as a 3o min powerwalk. So, for many of my patients, my advice is to get a pedometer, and try to hit 10,000 steps a day.
If you've tried it before, you know that getting to 10,000 takes concious effort. To not use the elevators, or call that colleague, but actually walk to where you need to be.
Will let you know if I can keep this up, and hopefully I'll see some results in a month.