Sunday, May 30, 2010

Baby Names

And so we're trying to come up with baby names. I won't even go near the middle name yet, since we're already having a tough time with the first name (BTW Chinese middle name, or not?).
I mean, this is big deal, isn't it? It will be for life. It will write her life, her future, her destiny. It matters, whether you name your kid Hillary Rodham or Smellikoochie-kaka.
I do think some people try a bit too hard to give their kids special names. To each his own I suppose. But come on. Apple? Phycilin? Escherichia??? (I swear, the latter is true, I read it in The Star when I was in college- some Malaysian microbiologist loved his work so much he gave that name to his son. Poor kid (well, he's probably in his early 20s now), being named after a fecal bacteria.
"Oh yes, my dad named me after Princess Diana.."
"My name means morning sun in Japanese. What did your parents name you after?"
"..... >_< "
Now, if this wasn't a big deal, and would not psychologically scar someone for the rest of their lives, I'd like to have fun with this. Oh, the names I'd give. Offhand, Mercedes comes to mind. After all, it IS a girl's name. Except I see her make a career out of pole dancing. Or worse.
I could do as the nobles do. Kristin the 2nd (obviously I'm not gonna name my daughter after me). Or, in this technological age, Kristin 2.0. Or iKristin?? Yea, I think I like that one.
Or, perhaps to guarantee free college tuition, you could do some commercial endorsement. Name her KotexLightdaysExtracoverageOdorAbsorbing, or Kot-tee for short (Gawd, that's a nickname I certainly had to put up with). Or since we love our dogs, PurinaBeneful, that sounds kinda feminine. I'm having too much fun with this; my wife is going to kill me. I'd better stop.
Anyhoo, we keep throwing the same few names out so I guess we have it kinda narrowed down. Kinda. Except she keeps finding new ones, and tires of the old ones. We'll eventually come up with something (in the meantime, anyone out there looking to advertise their product? Call me)